Great NebraskaNaturalists and Scientists
Carrie A. Barbour
At the University of Nebraska, Carrie Adeline Barbour worked at the State Museum as an assistant curator, starting in 1893. She later served as an assistant professor within the museum and eventually taught paleontology as a professor. Her work included teaching at the Washington University biological station in Puget Sound. Due to her interests in ceramics and painting, she began work at the university as a faculty member in the Art Department.
Born in 1862 in Indiana, Barbour is the sister of E.H. Barbour, who served as the museum director. She received her B.S. from Oxford College for Women in Oxford, Ohio. She held memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Nebraska Academy of Science, and Sigma Xi. Before coming to Nebraska she taught at Iowa College, Grinnell, Iowa. She died in June 1942.